Borderline Personality Disorder-
Is any of your friend like this?
She is very dramatic and has mood swings most of the time. She is very happening at times while sounds very low at other times. She has multiple relationships which are very unstable. She has lots of breakups, patch ups and hook ups. In the friendship , sometimes she is way too involved and sometimes she is very aloof. You can see the cuts on her wrist. Sometimes she gives suicidal threats on trivial issues. She loses her temper very easily and then has guilt about her behavior.
Let’s understand this.
Borderline personality disorder is also known as emotional unstable personality disorder, as mood regulation is one of the major problems in this disorder. It affects 1-2% of the population and mostly females. The problem usually starts in adolescence.
- Unstable interpersonal relationships
- Impulsive behavior
- Mood problems
- Unstable self-image
Let’s understand these symptoms-
- She is having fear of abandonment.
- She is having intense relationships which are unstable.
- She is having an unstable sense of self.
- She is very impulsive in terms of doing lots of shopping, sex, reckless driving, binge eating and binge drinking.
- She frequently talks about harming herself.
- Mood swings.
- Chronic feeling of emptiness.
- She is having difficulty in controlling anger.
- In stress she becomes suspicious.
Psychotherapy and medication helps.